[mythtv-users] Researching USB tuner

Harry Lists holists at optonline.net
Tue Feb 22 01:16:59 UTC 2011

Question best asked to Jarod, but I know that other people may be
interested:

There are patches on Jarod's site to support v1 and v2 of Kworld UB435-Q
HD
sticks:

http://wilsonet.com/jarod/kworld-hacking/kworld-a340-20100218/kworld-340u-
ub435q-em28xx.patch

and

http://wilsonet.com/jarod/kworld-hacking/kworld-ub435-q-v2.patch

I don't think that these patches have made it to the F14 kernel yet.  If
manually patch them in, does this stick work well?  I am looking for a
USB HD
tuner but, given the current state of the cable industry (i.e.: dropping
of
clear QAM channels), I don't want to spend a lot (i.e.: I'm cheap).

Most other QAM capable USB HD sticks seem to cost $70-$100.  The Kworld
seems
to be the lowest priced supported stick.  The Hauppauge HVR-850 model
1200 (is
QAM really supported for this one?), Pinnacle 801e SE and Pinnacle 80e
(not
sure if there really is support for this one) also seem to be
lower-priced and
supported.

These are the ones I know of.  If anyone has any experience with them or
suggestions for other working ones I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

-- Harry O.