[mythtv-users] DVB Scanning: single transport only

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 20:36:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Tom Hill <tom at ninjabadger.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 17:50 +0000, Tom Hill wrote:
> > There does not appear to be an option to disable the use of NIT data
> > when scanning with 'scan' or with MythTV, so I'm currently facing a
> > very
> > frustrating operation to trim an enormous channels.conf, do to ~20 or
> > so
> > channels that I actually need.
>
> Further to my original post, I have since managed to get a channels.conf
> that was acceptable (39 channels) and have then proceeded to try
> importing this into Mythtv.
>
> Whilst this is successful, Myth yet again cannot import just the
> channels that I wish to have and takes the frequencies present in the
> channels.conf, parses the NIT data and begins scanning again --
> providing me with numbering prompts for 100's of channels, which is
> utterly useless.
>
> How has anyone else done this without going utterly insane? I'm tempted
> to write a script to parse a channels.conf and just insert the correct
> database rows into the 'channel' table, but I'm still surprised that
> there is no option to do this in Myth itself.

IIRC there are two places to scan from, input connections and channel
editor. Which are you using (sorry to be a bit vague, the dvb-s cards are at
home, I am not.)

I have always just done it from input connections, and specified the
frequency of the mux, then scanned just that mux. As I only have two muxes I
am interested in it takes no time to sort.