[mythtv-users] m2ts files and the internal player

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Feb 20 18:32:54 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "JCA" <1.41421 at gmail.com>
> When I play those files directly from my camcorder, connecting it to
> my TV through an HDMI cable, the images are always crisp and sharp, in
> particular when they depict transversal motion - e.g. when the footage
> features somebody walking from one side of the screen to the other.
> When I play the files with MythTV's internal player, in the situation
> described above one can observe a slight blur; it's as though the
> image could not be refreshed fast enough, or something like that (I am
> not at all video-savvy.)
>
> Has anybody observed things like this? Any suggestions on how to fix
> it? The internal player can play 1920x1080 videos without such
> artifacts, for I got a number videos created from commercial Blue-Ray
> disks that play flawlessly.

Have you tried playing them using mplayer or such on the MythBox?

It sounds to me, off-hand, like something de-interlacing that's not
supposed to be (I assume your monitor and camcorder are both 1080p?).

Alternatively: your camcorder may only be 1080i, and while, when you
connect it directly to the TV set, the *TV* switches to 1080i and
everything looks fine, if you play the same clip through Myth, it will
de-interlace it, because it's keeping the monitor in 1080p.

Try playing such a clip from mplayer *on the commandline*; it will tell
you in STDOUT what the format of the video is.  I'm betting 1080i.

Cheers,
-- jra