[mythtv-users] Problem with parental level on 2nd frontend

Thomas Mashos tgm4883 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 18:49:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>  On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:01:38 +0100, raptor jr <raptorjr at hotmail.com>
>  wrote:
>>>The video files are profiled in the BE database with their
>> parental
>>>level, which is used by all FEs.
>>>
>>>You must setup the parental controls correctly on EACH FE.
>>
>>  Are you saying that for each and every file that i have set a
>> parental level on at my backend/frontend i need to do this change on
>> every frontend i have? Why use storage groups then if it is the same
>> work as with NFS?
>
>  When I add a video under MythVideo, I set the parental level.  That
>  video can be a single file or a ripped DVD folder.  In either case, the
>  parental level is set in the database on the master backend.
>
>  When each frontend is asked to display the list of videos, the list of
>  videos and parental levels are queried from the backend and the parental
>  controls are known from the specific FE's configuration.
>
>  1) Central video/file storage
>  2) Central video parental level in the backend database
>  3) Each frontend needs to be profiled with how to block/display videos
>  based upon #1 and #2.
>
>  What may be confusing is that you often use a FE to set the parental
>  levels on each file/video.  Yes, you need to do that once for each video
>  (or explore options to mass update in the database directly).  BUT you
>  only need to update the video's metadata for that parental setting ONCE
>  - again, because it is stored in the BE database.
>
>  All of this assumes that you have a central storage disk/volume/nas for
>  your videos and that they are not locally stored on a specific FE (which
>  wouldn't make sense.)

Just a quick chime in, as I don't have any knowledge of how parental
controls work, but I do for other things that may work similarly.

My specific thought on this was live tv timeout and if it works the
same way. Before there was a frontend setting for this, you had to
make the changes directly in the database. There were two ways to set
this up. You could add a row with the frontend hostname and the
timeout setting. This would need to be done for each frontend.
Alternatively, you could add a row with the timeout setting and the
hostname field was either blank, or ALL (I don't recall which one),
and then every frontend would adhere to those settings. I wonder if
something similar exists for parental controls? I would venture this
is probably the case.