[mythtv-users] HDMI audio: plughw:0, 7 works but hdmi:CARD=NVidia doesn't

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:45:31 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia doesn't guarantee you it's pointing to card 0, device 7 ..
>
> If you use a very recent version of ALSA (only a couple of months
> old), then the new alsa library let you choose the various hdmi
> devices with something like:
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia:DEV=x where x is 0 to whatever

I was looking at another thread that mentioned that as well.  I tried
speaker-test -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -c 6 which didn't give an
errors but didn't give any sound either.  If I put a value other than
0 for DEV it just gives an error.

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:40 AM, GZ <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you really want to get HD audio bitstreaming to work, it's probably
> a good idea for you to update to the latest release of alsa. Version
> 1.0.24 came out very recently.  I believe that it includes updates
> that enable HD audio bitstreaming support.  Also note that the gt220
> doesn't officially support bitstreaming some of the highest bit rates.
>  It has worked for some people but not for others, depending on the
> receiver.  Take a look at the wiki page for more information:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:HDAudioPassthrough

I'll try upgrading alsa to 1.0.24.  I was reading through the wiki and
I see that my gt220 does support HBR, although it sounds like that's
not a guarantee with the GT220.

Thanks!
Dave