[mythtv-users] How do you point to a remote folder

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 15 08:36:25 UTC 2011

On advice from this forum I sought to mount the remote folder using CIFS as
I was told that this was better than using SAMBA.

I sought to mount the remote folder MusicFilms, which resides on a Win7
machine named POSSUM mapped to my  MythTv box file system at the location
/mnt/MusicFilms

I added the following to my fstab file having created a .credentials in my
home folder with my windows user name and password:

 //possum/MusicFilms	/mnt/MusicFilms	cifs
rw,uid=anthony,gid=workgroup,fmask=0117,dmask=0007,noauto,cred=/home/anthony
/.credentials

I also tried the following line to see if I could mount using SAMBA which I
know is running on the machine
# //possum/MusicFilms	/mnt/MusicFilms	smbfs	guest	0	0

Note via the Ubuntu "Places" file system interface I can browse and connect
to this share and mount it without any problem however I have no way of
making the mapping persistent.

I would be interested in knowing where in the Linux file system does it
place the remote folder if I user the Network interface of Ubuntu and browse
to the remote folder and chose Mount from the dropdown command list?  A
representation of the remote folder appears on the desktop however it does
not appear in the file system inside the Desktop folder.

It looks like I have something wrong with the syntax however I do not have
any boot errors requiring me to skip like I got with previous attempts.

Thanks

Anthony