[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:02:17 UTC 2011

> On 2/14/11 8:12 AM, jedi wrote:
>>
>> One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
>> to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
>> may already be degraded. You might find that appreciate the extra clarity
>> in a pristine OTA broadcast signal.

> For the sad truth in the above, check out:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

> I would assume that OTA is better quality than FIOS, too.
[...]

        If you actually check that link, you'll see that it compares
Comcast against FIOS on non-OTA stations (eg. USA, Sci-Fi, AMC), so that
link doesn't support the claim that OTA stations are worse on cable.
Maybe someone else has done tests that support that claim, but I haven't
seen them.

         In my area, I've seen that Comcast does *not* recompress OTA
stations, and the same channel on OTA and cable will look good or bad
depending on what the local station does (eg. what equipment they use to
reencode the national feed, how many SD sub-channels they have, ...)

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com