[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 14 03:28:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 09:06:12PM -0600, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> [...]

     What MCE "stores things as" is probably entirely irrelevant except for
making things unecessarily hard to use in other programs. Unless MCE is
transcoding things (which is bloody unlikely given the processing requirements),
then it's just storing the raw streams from whatever tuner it's recording
from.

     That means just storing whatever the cable company or the broadcast
station sent out.

     THAT can be quite large.

     Dealing with cable probably buys you a bit since your cable provider
is probably trying to save on their own internal bandwidth. Although this
will also mean some degredation in the quality of shows.

> get about 20 hours on my current DVR.  That's nowhere near enough, but I
> think 300 is good.
>
> How many hours would this get me in Myth?

     This is not a question of "Myth vs. MCE". It's purely a question of
what your tuner/capture card is saving. For most digital tuners, this is
going to be what was "broadcast".

[deletia]

     In terms of effective recording time, an HD-PVR is going to yield
you the exact same thing in MCE or EyeTV as it would MythTV. The same
goes for any cable card tuner or QAM USB tuner.

     For the same show, I can see a 4:1 difference between my HDHR and
my HD-PVRs.