[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Mon Feb 14 01:40:24 UTC 2011

[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org]
> On Behalf Of Eric Sharkey
> Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:09 PM
> To: Discussion about MythTV
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center
>
> I think he's talking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Media-Center-Extender-DVD/dp/B000XQO
NSG

Correct.  They are new for $130 on Amazon and can be found used on eBay
for $100.  The one in the link above even has a DVD player (sure wish it
was a BluRay).  The one notable feature the Xbox has that the other
extenders don't is the ability to send Wake On LAN requests to the
server (yes, I know the Myth-front-end can do this too).  However, I've
read that there were bugs with this feature on the Xbox (back in 2008,
but it may be fixed now).  The other extenders have also had their
problems, but the latest firmware from Linksys corrects most of them.
The main draw of the other extenders is they don't use much power, run
cooler, and make zero noise.  Whereas the Xbox is LOUD, hot, and draws
more power.

I read about the ION boxes, and I realize that they would be full
PC's... and that's interesting.  I already have one PC in my son's room
that could be used as a front-end for him, so that would help lower
costs too.  My PC is currently in its own room, but I suppose it could
be moved to a bedroom.  Those machines would only need new video cards
with HDMI outputs... which can be bought pretty cheap.

I'm gearing up to test Myth.  I got a copy of Ubuntu Linux today.

Brian