[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 01:20:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> > Recording/streaming HD content from 6-8 tuners to 5 front-end
> > machines is a very I/O intensive thing.
>
> You might think so, but in practice it's not so bad.  Disks are a lot
> faster than they used to be.
>
> > The hardware I listed in my
> > Wish List on NewEgg is what I /think/ I will need to do the job in
> > Windows... with a comfortable cushion.
> > Here's the link:
> >

> http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15148745
>
> If I had to work within that budget, I'd go for more storage.  Cut the
> ram in half, go to a dual core processor, and go with 2TB drives
> instead of 1TB drives.

Even 6GB seems excessive, but it's usually better to buy it now than later
when you find they are no longer making ram for your motherboard, or only
making it at an excessive price.

Maybe  12G is what a windows guy knows his setup will need, it's certainly
overkill for linux (forgive the slight dig Brian).

Agreed on storage too, you never have enough, especially as Brian has
mentioned kids...