[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Sun Feb 13 22:33:09 UTC 2011

First, I have a great deal of respect for the people here who have
contributed to the development of Myth.  From what I've seen and read,
it looks like a very cool thing.  I'm impressed.

I'll start trimming previous messages in my responses.  I agree, it can
get a little messy if the whole thing is included in every e-mail.
However, I've seen others do the same thing here.

Sure Myth has some shortcomings... so does Win MCE.  That's what I'm
trying to do... get information from experienced users so I can make an
informed decision before beginning such a big project.  Yes, I'm not
comfortable with Linux... but there's a learning opportunity too.

So far, the pros/cons of each are about equal in my view.  Both can do
all the things I really want to do.  The biggest limitation of Myth is
the lack of a CableCARD tuner.  I know that the HD-PVR makes up for
that, but the long-term costs of that option are higher than they are
with CableCARD, because with Myth, I would need to rent several cable
boxes to accomplish my goal.

I suppose if the hardware costs of Myth are significantly lower than
those of Win MCE, that would be a big factor that I would have to
consider.  Recording/streaming HD content from 6-8 tuners to 5 front-end
machines is a very I/O intensive thing.  The hardware I listed in my
Wish List on NewEgg is what I /think/ I will need to do the job in
Windows... with a comfortable cushion.  I've pasted that link below
again, just in case you would care to look it over and tell me if it's
way too much horsepower for MythTV.  Keep in mind that I configured this
hardware to support 3D playback of BluRay movies, so the video card is
probably over-priced for Myth, which cannot do 3D playback AFAIK.

Keep in mind that Myth appears to add higher costs for the front-end
hardware.  I can get Media Center Extenders for about $100 each.  Can I
build a Myth front-end for $100 that will play HD content?

Here's the link:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=1
5148745

Brian