[mythtv-users] Cross Compiling on Backend for all Clients

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Feb 13 03:27:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 08:10:35PM -0700, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>   So, I have a MythTV system set up with one server (also a frontend) and a
> couple of client machines.  Whenever I update my backend server, it takes a
> while because I have to go to each machine and update them to the same newer
> version and recompile myth (ugh).  I noticed that the latest git version of

    I get around this by having all of the frontends share their binaries
via NFS. I just build the frontend version of MythTV once for all of my

> myth includes a cross-compile switch.  Sadly, I've never used an option like
> this so, like many things that I haven't done yet, it seems scary to me.
>   What I want to do is be able to build all the necessary binaries on my
> backend server (hopefully, in one build) and have them saved to a
> samba shared folder that all the clients can execute when they are used.  I
> don't really know much about the libraries and how they might affect this
> --if they don't exist in the correct place on the clients, which didn't
> actually build and install from source.  Is that going to cause a problem?

    I set MYTHTVDIR in the environment on the frontends before starting up
the frontend. I also have an extra line in ld.so.conf to address the fact
that MythTV libs are installed in an oddball location.

> Does anyone know how to do this?  I googled for a while and couldn't find a
> solid howto on cross compiling.

    You could just choose a frontend to build on.

>  If I could get this working, it would save me lots of time.  I think my
> setup is sort of simple as both clients' OSes are just like the backend,
> Debian linux but they are 32bit and not 64bit like the server.  The
> only hardware problem (and I'm not really sure it is) is that one client
> uses an intel graphics card while the backend and other client use nvidia

    Not sure about this part. All of my boxes that used the shared binary
all use roughly the same (ION) hardware.