[mythtv-users] Cross Compiling on Backend for all Clients

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Feb 13 03:27:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 08:10:35PM -0700, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>   So, I have a MythTV system set up with one server (also a frontend) and a
> couple of client machines.  Whenever I update my backend server, it takes a
> while because I have to go to each machine and update them to the same newer
> version and recompile myth (ugh).  I noticed that the latest git version of

    I get around this by having all of the frontends share their binaries
via NFS. I just build the frontend version of MythTV once for all of my
frontends.

> myth includes a cross-compile switch.  Sadly, I've never used an option like
> this so, like many things that I haven't done yet, it seems scary to me.
>
>   What I want to do is be able to build all the necessary binaries on my
> backend server (hopefully, in one build) and have them saved to a
> samba shared folder that all the clients can execute when they are used.  I
> don't really know much about the libraries and how they might affect this
> --if they don't exist in the correct place on the clients, which didn't
> actually build and install from source.  Is that going to cause a problem?

    I set MYTHTVDIR in the environment on the frontends before starting up
the frontend. I also have an extra line in ld.so.conf to address the fact
that MythTV libs are installed in an oddball location.

> Does anyone know how to do this?  I googled for a while and couldn't find a
> solid howto on cross compiling.

    You could just choose a frontend to build on.

>  If I could get this working, it would save me lots of time.  I think my
> setup is sort of simple as both clients' OSes are just like the backend,
> Debian linux but they are 32bit and not 64bit like the server.  The
> only hardware problem (and I'm not really sure it is) is that one client
> uses an intel graphics card while the backend and other client use nvidia
> VDPAU.

    Not sure about this part. All of my boxes that used the shared binary
all use roughly the same (ION) hardware.

[deletia]