[mythtv-users] "Please Wait" no longer appearing when playing recordings?

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Sat Feb 12 22:23:06 UTC 2011

On 12/02/11 19:16, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The playback startup was changed significantly--to be /much/ faster,
> because it's no longer hammering the database before startup--in
> unstable/development and the fix backported to 0.24-fixes.  This changed
> timing within the application.  And, AIUI, since the Please Wait screen
> has /always/ been a little finicky (appearing for some users and not for
> others), this just means that with the changes in timing, you've
> switched from the "appearing" group to the "not" group.

Thanks Michael. For me, the overall delay in starting playback seems
much the same as before (5 seconds or so), but previously I saw "Please
Wait" pretty much immediately after pressing Return and now I don't see
it at all. So I guess, as you say, that I've moved from one group to the
other.

I don't know if it's related to this recent commit, but I have had a few
frontend hangs since the "Please Wait" screen disappeared. The hangs
seem to happen if I press a key in the few seconds after pressing Return
to start playback of a recording but before playback starts. This tends
to happen now because of the lack of feedback as I'm not sure if the
initial Return was registered. For example, if I press Return a second
time, or if I press Esc after pressing Return, or if I press a cursor
key after Return, then the frontend will often (not always) hang.

This has happened about 6 times in the last couple of days. I don't know
if this problem happened before the commit, as I don't recall pressing
Return twice, or pressing Return then a cursor key, when the "Please
Wait" screen was displayed.

Cheers,

John

--