[mythtv-users] "Please Wait" no longer appearing when playing recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 12 19:16:01 UTC 2011

On 02/12/2011 11:58 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:11 AM, John Veness wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Starting with an update within the last couple of days, when I press
>> Return to start playback of a recording, it doesn't go to the "Please
>> Wait..." screen. Instead, the frontend seems to hang for a few seconds,
>> and then playback starts.
>>
>> It's not a major problem, but the lack of immediate feedback does mean
>> that the user isn't sure if he correctly pressed Return on the program.
>> Note, I am definitely talking about playing back previous recordings,
>> not Live TV.
>>
>> This doesn't seem to be theme-dependent as I have tried a few themes.
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 with daily updates from the mythbuntu 0.24-fixes
>> repository.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this before I file a ticket?
> I see this as well, but in trunk/master.  I assumed it was just some
> transient trunk issue, but if you see it in -fixes, then it should be
> looked at.

The playback startup was changed significantly--to be /much/ faster,
because it's no longer hammering the database before startup--in
unstable/development and the fix backported to 0.24-fixes.  This changed
timing within the application.  And, AIUI, since the Please Wait screen
has /always/ been a little finicky (appearing for some users and not for
others), this just means that with the changes in timing, you've
switched from the "appearing" group to the "not" group.

Mike