[mythtv-users] Jetway motherboard IR receiver

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:46:05 UTC 2011

On 2/11/11, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2011, at 4:16 PM, lists.md301 wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a Jetway Atom D525 (dual-core) Nvidia ION2 mini-ITX
>> barebone machine (HBJC231C98-525-B), a Newegg promo, to use as a frontend
>> only.  Successfully copied an existing Gentoo 0.23.1 frontend-only install
>> (AMD socket 939 dual-core) onto it, with the necessary tweaks
>> (kernel/mythtv recompile to support VDPAU, etc.)   Not too painful to
>> accomplish, and everything is working great.  Haven't yet tackled audio
>> over HDMI, as I'm on the 2.6.32 kernel, but 1080p output of both MPEG2 and
>> Handbrake transcodes to MKV/h.264 are smooth with the Nvidia 260.x driver
>> (whatever was most recent in my Gentoo portage snapshot sync).  The one
>> thing that has me stumped is the built-in IR receiver.  The machine came
>> with a remote which is MCE compatible, and can turn on the PC with the
>> remote's power button.  Nice feature.  Right now I have an MCE receiver
>> dongle plugged into one of the front USB ports, and with the MCE LIRC
>> module/definitions, I can use either the barebone remote or the one that
>> came with the dongle.  But I'd like to use what's already built-in and
>> lose the dongle.
>>
>> I haven't been able to find any definitive info about what the IR chipset
>> is, or how it might be supported by LIRC.  The Jetway website has a
>> Windows driver for it which seems to indicate that it is a Fintek CIR
>> chip, but my internet searches have turned up nothing about Linux support,
>> or even anyone asking the question that I am.  The motherboard is a Jetway
>> NC98-F.  I've tried one of the latest kernels (2.6.35) with patches for
>> some other Atom 330 motherboards (ASRock), as well as all the other
>> "stock" modules from LIRC 0.8.7.  As the barebone is a relatively new
>> offering, I'm not surprised.  Anybody know something?
>
> Yes. There's no Linux driver for that hardware yet. Its planned,
> but I don't have an ETA.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

Thanks for the reply, Jarod.  I considered the best way to contact you
about this (IRC/email), but figured I'd start here so that anyone else
interested might learn something.  It's doubtful I'd have the time,
but I have thought about taking a crack at it myself.  I'm a
hardware/embedded engineer in my day job, so it might be interesting,
but I face a learning curve on the specifics.

I'll keep an eye out for any progress.  Glad to hear it's on your radar.