[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Reynolds, Brian Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com
Sat Feb 12 08:24:19 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Michael T. Dean
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:03 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

On 02/11/2011 11:35 PM, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> Ummm... I don't know about you... but I can only get a few channels
via
> OTA tuners.  I don't live in a big city.  I'm about 60 miles (as the
> crow flies) from Orlando... and there are only a few OTA channels
there.
> The ones in my local area are crap... not worth watching IMO.

WESH, WKMG, WFTV, WDSC, WKCF, WMFE, WRDQ, WOFL, WOPX ION, WRBW, WBCC
(and a few others, but the ones I listed would have the best shows,
IMHO) should all come in well (and all but maybe one will lie in a
nearly straight line making it easy to point an antenna).  Should be on
the order of 40+ channels total (at least 10 of which should have
interesting material--enough to fill, say, 12TB of HDDs with >1500
recordings that you can't watch as fast as they accrue, even with
timestretch).  At least, I'd guess that's the case.

> You can play Don Quixote if you want... and battle the DRM windmill.
> prefer not to wait a year (or more/never) to watch my favorite shows
on
> DVD.  Plus, someone will ALWAYS defeat the DRM.  I'd be willing to bet
> that someone will create hacked firmware for the Ceton card within two
> years... and then we'll all be able to receive encrypted cable TV
> without any restrictions.  Just like DVD and BluRay... we thought it
> would never happen... and today, we can rip those babies to any media
we
> want!

And all you have to do is commit a federal felony offense to do it your
way.

Who's to say I'm battling windmills rather than just refusing to break
the law (where the only reason to break the law is because the law
causes me slight inconvenience--in using a STB DVD player rather than
MythTV to play my DVDs--or requires me to stay one season behind on the
non-broadcast shows I like).

(Possibly NSFW) http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2134

I'm fighting the cable company's policies--and wholly realize it's a
losing battle (unless I can convince my 100,000,000 closest friends to
also drop cable)--but it turns out that I'm saving a /ton/ of money
compared to the people I know who aren't fighting the cable company's
policies.

Mike

Yes, Mike, I can get all the major networks (OTA) and a few
independents, PBS, and a local community college here (with a BIG
antenna).  All but two of them have their transmitters located in
Christmas, Florida (northwest).  WESH (NBC) is in Daytona Beach (north)
and WBCC is in Palm Bay (south).  The 40 channels you mention include
all the sub-channels... most of which are crap.  I have to admit that
I'd like to get the major networks OTA so that I don't get the
compressed version offered by the cable company.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating the theft of cable TV.  But you
know it's coming.  Personally, I'd prefer just paying them every month
and not having to worry about being caught, losing my reception, or
whatever might happen if I'm running cracked firmware.  I'm lazy in that
way... I really don't want to mess with it.  Once it's working, I would
really rather just leave it alone.

Sure, TV isn't the most important thing in life.  I could live without
it if I must.  But while it's easy to get and within my budget, I would
rather not wait until the episodes come out on DVD.  I will say though,
that I enjoy the Netflix library of TV shows very much so I can watch
the ones I missed (Dexter Season 2, for example).

Good night.