[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 12 00:35:01 UTC 2011

On 02/11/2011 04:14 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 15:38, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
>> OK... I don't use an e-mail client that puts ">" characters in front of
>> also defaults to using rich text for all messages.  I can change that if
>> it makes you happy, but I don't see the problem with rich text either.
>> Geez, what's the big deal?
>
> Very few people use email clients that cannot handle rich text and
> HTML mail these days.  There are email gateways you can use to
> reprocess the email down to plain text, and even the various mailing
> list archives do that on their own.  This issue is that the only real
> reason to use rich text or html is for markup, to use different fonts,
> different sizes, different colors.
>
> People who actually care to personalize their email with such crap are
> likely going to choose annoying colors and fonts, or huge font sizes,
> and are going to be nothing more than a nuisance.  In the end, it
> provides nothing of real worth, and just makes an unnecessarily large
> email, so why bother.

Not to mention that when you have multiple disparate clients all quoting
material from previously-quotes replies and using their own
"proprietary" markup for the quoting, it makes a completely
unintelligible mess before long--with broken/missed attributions, quoted
material appearing unquoted or quoted to the wrong levels, and in many
cases whole blocks of text mushed together.  Rich-text/markup does not
belong on a mailing list with multi-level replies from users with
multiple different e-mail clients.

Mike