[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

john.baab at gmail.com john.baab at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 22:40:38 UTC 2011

> If I really hate Win MCE, I could buy a different tuner that is
> compatible with Myth.  That way, I've only lost the money spent on that
> one tuner card.  If I decide to try to virtualize the machine, I should
> be able to partition the hardware so that Linux only sees the tuners
> that I want it to see, correct?

You could just buy cards that will easily work in both OSs.  Several
people (including me) have recommended them to you throughout this
thread, but you seem to keep going back to the same cards, so I'll lay
it out for you one more time:

1. Silicon Dust HD Homerun (dual tuner model) will give you 2 clear
QAM inputs.  If you enable multirec it can do up to 5 inputs in
MythTV.  This will handle most of your network recordings and most
likely be your primary tuner.
2. Hauppauge PVR 1212 can hook up to a cable box and record any output
up to 1080i, this can access any channel you have on your cable box.
In combination with the HDHR this should allow you to catch almost all
the TV you need.
3. (Yet to be release) Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime is a 3 tuner
CableCard device.  This should work in both MythTV and WMC when
released.  Will be essential if you record more cable shows than
broadcast shows.  Bear in mind that using TWC CableCard may not work
very well for you so you should watch for results after release of any
CableCard products.

Assuming one of each of those you would be with 6 tuners (more in
MythTV) which will work in both MythTV and WMC.  All of the above are
external cards so you can add more at any point.

4. Ceton InfiniTV 4 is a 4 tuner CableCard device which currently only
works in WMC, but should shortly be supported in MythTV.

As I have stated before in this thread, I would start out with #1, try
both MythTV and WMC out and see what you like, then expand from there.
 The HDHR will certainly not let you down, especially for its rather
low price per tuner and is the best place to start.