[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

john.baab at gmail.com john.baab at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 21:32:29 UTC 2011

> Based on everything you've posted to date, MythTV is probably not the
> best fit for your situation given your skills and general attitudes.
> If you want to try it out, that's great, and there will be many people
> on this list that will help you in any way we can, but I expect that
> you'd probably be happier with something else.
>
> I could be wrong, but that's just the vibe I'm getting.

Agreed.

I'd also like to toss out a simpler method to getting into your own
DVR.  Why don't you take a machine you have now and install either
some form of MCE or MythTV on it, and then pick up a HDHR and see how
you like it.  Decide what you like better and then expand it.  The
HDHR is something that will be useful anyways and $119 is easier to
drop and mess around with things than $1600 or whatever your current
price tag is.

The current $119 price at newegg is fairly good too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815327005&cm_re=hdhomerun-_-15-327-005-_-Product