[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Fri Feb 11 21:31:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Reynolds, Brian
<Brian.Reynolds at fiserv.com> wrote:
> I also have to say that in addition to being very prolific in your
> people who are adamant about "following the rules", which is kind of
> funny when you consider that so many of you rage against DRM... which
> are, in effect, rules.

I've been reading this thread from the sidelines for a while but had
to chime in when I saw this - that statement above clearly shows that
you still don't "get it", about DRM or open-source in general.  The
fact that people are adamant about the rules shouldn't come as a
surprise at all -- the whole open source movement is based on
diligently following the rules, not breaking them, and I am a strong
believer in adhering to license agreements and abiding by all laws
governing the products I use.  That's exactly why I use open source
for everything I can, including mythtv, and I wouldn't touch MCE even
if MS paid me - because it's closed.

> I saw the post about DRM causing some people problems with the super
> bowl.  I can understand that a new product will have some bugs, but
> after reading the posts on thegreenbutton.com I see that Ceton responded
> pretty quickly too.  That's the kind of company I want to deal with.

Not the kind of company I want to deal with.  You already forgot
option #2 - just choose not to buy into the DRM in the first place.
Don't subscribe to the cable company's tactics, keep your money, use
sources that are not encumbered by such nonsense.  No problems.

> However, there is already a hack for that.  The Windows registry is a
> wonderful thing when you know what needs to be changed to make Windows
> do something non-standard.  If I need something really strange that I
> can't find online somewhere, I have a friend who has some influence
> (think multi-million-dollar contracts) with folks at M$.  He's a great
> resource and has always been able to get what I need from the fine folks
> at M$ among other vendors.

Once again - exactly why I use open source.  Nothing open source hides
stuff in secret registry keys or requires an influential inside
connection with multi million dollar contacts to get a new feature or
fix done.  Many of the devs read this mailing list.

> MythTV... and they even supply an API to develop your own software...
> all for free.

Again - you should really read up on the open source philosophy ...
free is not necessarily free.  Sounds like you have your mind made up
though -- you are clearly more comfortable with MCE and don't mind
becoming a pawn to the content providers.  If that works for you,
great.  I use myth because I am not comfortable with that.