[mythtv-users] Using Gentoo ebuilds from git packaging repo

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Fri Feb 11 18:55:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So is this going to be the "official" manner in which mythtv is going to be
> supported in Gentoo going forward?  Perhaps the transition to git has thrown
> a monkeywrench into things, but I haven't seen much official action in
> Gentoo-land for 0.24, either in portage (no alpha ebuilds) or on the bugs
> tracking.  On the open Gentoo bugs ticket requesting a 0.24 ebuild, I see
> that people have been offering their own ebuilds (and referencing the mythtv
> git ones as well), but nothing from the official gentoo maintainer "cardoe"
> (Doug Goldstein), or any timeline.
>
> I've been waiting to try 0.24 on my system, but don't know if I should wait
> for something to appear in portage, or go with the mythtv-bundled solution.
> I want to avoid having to switch approaches mid-stream if possible.  If/when
> something is decided, it would be nice for it to be published someplace
> (wiki, mailing list, etc.).

We have been attempting to keep compatibility with upstream as much as
possible so when they decided to catch up it will be entirely painless
to remove our tree and migrate to theirs or to migrate from their tree
to ours.

We've worked with cardoe over the past few years to keep the trees as
painless as possible to switch between.