[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Feb 10 22:13:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
<john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering why you even need to record on
> demand, if you are recording things when they air then you have them
> ready to go.  If you want to use on demand you can still do so without
> recording it, kinda the point of it isn't it?

It's a legitimate feature request, not so much for the purpose of
recording, but for access.

The way I do it isn't ideal.  I have the STB hooked to the backend via
firewire, but also directly to the TV via HDMI.  When someone wants to
access VOD, we have to switch the TV input from one source to another
and view the STB directly.  This works, provided that the MythTV
doesn't try to schedule a recording at the same time.

What MythTV would need to support VOD would be a passthrough mode that
marks that tuner as in use as well as passing through button presses,
but otherwise treating any video displayed as equivalent to live tv.

Eric