[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 18:16:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 4:00 AM, "Bob Sully"<rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>
>> >  Message: 5

>>> memory.
>>>

>> It reports a total of 512M.  I'm just not sure why it doesn't work...it's
>> supposed to.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>  Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what does "XvMC and libmpeg2 to be
> dropped in 0.25" really mean?  Does this mean that I will no longer be able
> to play back my MPEG2 videos (DVD and HDHR TV recordings)?  Will doing so be
> possible only with VDPAU?  To me, that seems a bit restrictive.  The
> software decode/playback seems more tolerant of data errors than VDPAU, so
> some (me) prefer it.  It would also lock everyone into a single vendor
> NVIDIA for video cards.  That doesn't seem like the open source MythTV way.
>  Hopefully, this is not what dropping libmpeg2 in 0.25 means.

It means exactly what it says.  XvMC will be dropped.  XvMC is a pre-VDPAU
hardware acceleration API supported on some Nvidia cards.  It is not
software decode.  libmpeg2 is also being dropped (or already dropped?) and
that is an *alternative* to the standard ffmpeg software decode in Myth that
was never well-used or supported.  So in 0.25 you will have the option of
software playback (ffmpeg) or hardware (VDPAU or other tech)

Kevin