[mythtv-users] Help using Scte65Scan

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 11:54:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

I recently got myself a HDhomerun from newegg (it was on sale)
and am trying to get it setup.  I am attempting to follow the
wiki here: http://mythtv.org/wiki/Scte65scan, but am running
into some areas that I am not clear on.

1st off, I have compiled the program with the hdhomerun libraries,
and the program runs as advertise.

So, my 1st question...  As noted in the wiki:

"apparently Comcast will send the same signal to multiple towns
and configure the cable boxes to use a different table depending
on where it is installed."

This is definitely the case in my area.  However, I couldn't figure
out which VCT_ID was the one being used.  I have a full set top box
but the instructions from the wiki only caused my box to reboot.  I
do know how to get in the menu system on that box -- but now where
do I see anything that looks like VCT_ID.  So I am using the VCT_ID
that had the most channels listed under it.

Ok, on to the more important questions:

The wiki states:

1.Within mythtv-setup create the tuner cards and grabbers but
don't do the "connections" yet
2.run scte65scan as described below
3.fill the database with the results
the starting channel to a valid channel

For step one -- I have my schedule direct grabbers setup (one
digital one analog). Step 2 works as per the wiki.  Step 3 wouldn't
work because it would conflict with rows in the table it was trying
to modify.  So, I removed all grabbers -- and did steps 2 & 3 first.
Which does get the data into the two tables.  I then added the
schedule direct grabbers.

Which leds me to my next questions:  how does schedule direct link to
the data entered in to the database via the steps from the wiki?

The previous question is a result of noting the results of using the
digital lineup from schedule direct for the connection part to the
hdhomerun -- which is a lot of unknown schedule information for channels
that do work.

BTW: (I am using SVN) and the new Arclight theme is SWEET!!!!  Especially,
the OSD!!!

So all said, I figure I can't read -- and hope someone who has done this
can tell me where I am screwing this up.  Thanks

Nasa