[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 9 22:11:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 03:28:02PM -0600, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> I've read all about the media center extenders... and they CAN play copy
> protected content because they don't store the content locally.  They
> stream the video from the Win MCE machine, so they are made for this
> task.
>
> I realize that the extenders won't offer ALL the features of Windows,
> but they play all of the popular media formats for video, audio and
> pictures.  Perfect for a bedroom, IMHO.  Cheap and silent too.
>
> Copy-never and Copy-once content cannot, however, be played/copied to
> another Win MCE machine.  But I'm only thinking that I'll need one...
> and it will serve all my needs and then some.
>
> As for commercial-skip... I read that there is a fix/hack for that in
> Win MCE, but I can't remember the details about it.
>
> I like the idea of being able to skip the ads on DVD's, but it's not a
> deal breaker for me... and there may be a hack for that in Windows also.
>
> One really cool thing about the Win MCE setup is that the extenders will
> allow me to watch a Blu-Ray that is inserted into the Win MCE machine.

    That's interesting because the official MCE site seems to indicate that
BluRay is not directly supported at all. That's certainly not what I would
have thought but it seems to be the case. It looks like playing a BD disk
on an MCE extender would be much like doing it on a diskless Myth frontend.
That's assuming that the extender in question can handle BD content.