[mythtv-users] ASUS E35M1-M Pro boards

Johan.van der Kolk johan.van.der.kolk1 at telenet.be
Wed Feb 9 19:50:39 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 08:15 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/9/2011 14:00, Johan.van der Kolk wrote:
>>>

> For a backend, the same comments about Atom backends come into play.
> Recording digital TV is itself fairly non-demanding.  There is no real
> processing, just parsing the MPEG container for keyframes, and dumping
> the recording to disk.  The problem comes with guide data handling,
> scheduler runs, and any reprocessing you intend to do.  As you
> mentioned, you can run commflagging at lower priority, but the
> scheduler must run any time you change your channel lineup, update
> your guide data, or modify a recording rule.  The more channels and
> tuners you have, the longer this will take.
>
> Also note that you don't need to buy an underpowered system for low
> power consumption.  While the Zacate systems actually have power
> gating, and idle around half the power of Atom systems, you can get a
> high end Core i5 idling under 25W.  Tuner cards and hard drives are
> going to be stacked on top of that, regardless of what underlying
> board and processor you use.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/25w-performance-pc,2551.html
Thanks for that, also looked at the i5, as i noticed it's very power
efficient. Missed this very good review though.
In price, the i5 solution would be twice as expensive, but it'll give me
more headroom.

The core2Duo is also given good reviews, however my system with an E6600
runs up to 150W under load and 120W idle. (using cpu on-demand). HD's
(3) are powered down, while not in use for 30 minutes (theoretically).
I underclocked it now to 1GHz and lowered all NB,SB,CPU and memory
voltages to minimum. Still at 110 W, which drops to 100W if I pull the
videocard. Must have a high power consumer in the system, so perhaps
time for elimination....when the recordings have stopped.

Johan