[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Feb 9 17:19:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 11:43 -0500, Ryan Patterson wrote:

> But the frontend and backend of mythtv are core components.

Right, but they are (or should be) independent core components, not
components of a single core item, as your "engine block" example was.  I
think I clearly delineated that when I said I would not expect to
interchange portions of a single backed with mixed versions.

The FE and BE are not components of the same core item.  They are
independent items which should operate independently of each other with
a published API between them.

> Your
> example of changing wheels because of a published standard is directly
> analogous to changing the remote control on your mythTV frontend.

No.  I respectfully disagree.

> And
> yes that is easily doable because MythTV uses the published LIRC API
> for remote controls.

Exactly "published ... API".  That is what should exist between the FE
and BE making them interchangeable with other versions and other
products even.

> Sorry those examples are not comparable at all.

Sorry, yes they are.

> Those projects
> support industry standards which take years (or decades) for new
> versions to be released.  MythTV uses an internal protocol and
> database structure.

Yeah.  That's part of the point of this whole digression of this thread.

> Now can you please explain how to use MythTV as a replacement for NFS?

Huh?

I think I am done here.  I've made my point and you are just being silly
and argumentative with no point.  Have a nice day.

b.