[mythtv-users] [old] Re: XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Feb 9 14:44:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 08:38 -0500, Ryan Patterson wrote:

> Yes you have to choose one version of MythTV for your entire network
> of frontends and backends.  That seems to only make sense.

Not really.

> Can you
> swap a different design of engine block into your car without also
> changing the heads and manifolds?

Why does everyone immediately jump to the car analogy.  That one was
sooo bad.  It's not even nearly applicable.

> No, all those things must match
> each other.

OK.  To play along with the way-too-overstrained car analogy... You are
talking about trying to interchange what I would call "core components".
Of course the parts of the engine must match just as I would not expect
to be able to mix and match different versions of myth backend
components in a single back end.

But on my 10 year old car, I can use today's new wheels on it.  Why?
Because there are interface standards in place that manufacturers of
today's new wheels can meet to be interoperable.

> Can you name one of these other software projects you are talking
> about?

How about NFS?  I can mix and match any NFS3 clients and servers without
anyone whining that they refuse to work with somebody else due to
version mismatch.

How about web browsers and servers?  There not only can I mix and match
versions of HTML I can mix and match products even.

How about LDAP.  Again, I can even mix and match products there.

Shall I go on?

> And before you respond please ask yourself, "why am I using
> MythTV instead of this other project?"

Because NFS is file sharing software and not a PVR?

> That might highlight the fact
> these other projects are really not comparable to MythTV.

The problem is that I am talking in generalities and you have boxed
yourself into thinking specifically of PVR software.

b.