[mythtv-users] Problem with Hard and Soft Padding on recordings

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Wed Feb 9 11:03:41 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 03:08, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Unfortunately, "Time to record before start of show (secs)," and, "Time
> to record past end of show (secs)," are extremely long, cumbersome names
> for them (and not really descriptive of their true purpose, even). But,
> until someone comes up with a good name for them... (And I am way too
> lacking in creativity to do that.)

It sounds to me like we can get rid of "Time to record past end of show
(secs)" completely, and either hard-wire "Time to record before start of
show (secs)" to some kind of sensible universal average (10 seconds?),
or better, analyse the user's individual hardware over time
programmatically to tune a pre-startup time that suits. E.g. with a
brand-new setup, start 30 seconds early, then automatically adjust that
up and down depending on how quickly the card and hard disks start up.

If you may this change, it would need to be communicated very clearly to
the users. Many people would need to edit their recording rules to add
"hard padding". (Note, a way of bulk-editing rules would be very helpful
for this).

Cheers,

John

--