[mythtv-users] Adventures in Wireless HD

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Feb 9 04:19:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Phil Linttell <phil.linttell at rogers.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Then a couple of days ago, the WNDR3700 received a firmware update
> (V1.0.7.98NA) and all-of-a-sudden I could play very steady HD video on
> her machine with no other changes (not perfect, but watchable.)   Even
> 1080i 5.1 HD-PVR recordings, recorded with maximum quality settings (a
> file over 5GB for a 1-hour recording.)   I had thought I'd only achieve
> that result over wireless, if at all, with 5GHz streaming.
>
> This got me thinking... maybe I could get the Windows mythfrontend to
> work on my sons' new Acer Aspire V5252 Windows 7 64-bit laptops (15.4",
> AMD 2.3GHz V140, ATI HD 4250, 3GB RAM, integrated single-band 802.11n).
> These machines were about $350 and have HDMI out.  (My sons each have
> external 24" 1080p HDMI monitors.)  Unfortunately, playback was very
> stuttery/unwatchable - even sitting in the same room as the router.

Did you try playing back a stream that was encoded with a different
codec (maybe with both high def and std def) to see if it was a
decoder related issue?
Not that it would cause the stuttery problems, but was the time
synchronized on the PC?

Regardless, neat info!  I just bought a wireless-N router myself as
part of my upgrade to HD, but haven't streamed anything over it yet.
In fact, I don't yet have anything else with -N.

Have fun,

   Marc