Andy mizeraka at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 14:13:05 UTC 2011

I'm sorry Geoff,So the answer is 'no' I cannot see the desktop if I stop mythfrontend from starting at login.  I can see the splash screen when the computer boots up (it says, "ACER" and tells you to push 'Del' to enter setup), but as soon as it is done booting (i.e. when the desktop is displayed), the TV registers 'No Display'.  That happens whether or not I am auto logging into mythfrontend, and it resolves itself when I play any clip with audio whether or not it is from the desktop or from mythfrontend.
In regards to the HDMI cable, I have tried 2 different cables.  One of them is confirmed to be an HDMI 1.3 compliant cable.  I have tried all 4 HDMI inputs available on the TV.  They all act the same: No Display until there is an audio and video signal.
My output from the HTPC is HDMI.  I have a DVI output available from the HTPC, but not hooked up because I liked the idea of 1 cable for audio and video instead of having to split it up.  I have not tried hooking it up through a DVI cable.  There is no other output available from the video card.
I should also mention that the LG TV I'm having problems with is model number 37LE5300.  I do have another LG TV, the 55LH90.  The HTPC works perfectly when I hook it up to the 55LH90 (i.e. I can see the mythfrontend screen), it also works perfectly when I hook it up to my 19 inch LCD Samsung or my 25 inch LCD Sharp.  I have been hooking it up to those other TVs through the HDMI cable.
Since it works so well, with no hiccups with EVERY other TV I have in the house, I can only guess its a TV problem not an operator error.