[mythtv-users] Multiple Streams, tuner priority and the Scheduler

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Feb 8 01:57:56 UTC 2011

I have an HDHomeRun configured for up to 4 streams on each tuner, as well as
a couple of PVR150's.  For the last few months my cable company has put all
the standard cable channels in clear QAM in groups of 10 SD streams per
multiplex channel.  So my local network channels (CBS, ABC,NBC, FOX, etc)
are available on the same multiplex allowing me to theoretically record all
the networks at the same time; additionally they are offered in HD on other
channels.

Every so often I get a situation where I want to record 3 shows, and the
scheduler will choose to record two HD streams and force the third show to
use an Analog tuner, even though analog tuners have a lower priority(-1).
Obviously, if the scheduler would favor multiple streams when possible, all
of my recordings would be digital.  Keep in mind that I have not added any
priority points to HD recordings.  This does not happen every time I have 3
simultaneous recordings, but it does happen.  For example, the following 3
shows are all offered on the same SD multiplex.

Digital Tuner 1 HD American Idol: Auditions No.
8<http://mythserver/mythweb/tv/detail/3041/1297386000> 11-HD
- WTNZ Thu Feb 10, 2011 (08:00 PM) 1 hr   Analog Tuner 1 The Vampire
Diaries: Crying Wolf <http://mythserver/mythweb/tv/detail/1012/1297386000> A12
- WBXX Thu Feb 10, 2011 (08:00 PM) 1 hr   Digital Tuner 2 HD Wipeout: Winter
Wipeout: This Little Piggy Went to
Wipeout<http://mythserver/mythweb/tv/detail/3021/1297386000> 13-HD
- WATEDT Thu Feb 10, 2011 (08:00 PM) 1 hr
My guess is that it is shows that are recorded before and after are
influencing the scheduler.  However I still cannot see why it doesn't drop
to the SD channel multiplex so that everything fits on two tuners instead of
3.

So my question is, what adjustment can I make to encourage the scheduler to
try and keep all of my recordings on the digital tuners, even if that means
that the two lowest priority shows must be recorded in SD.  Would increasing
the tuner priority difference (analog vs digital) make any difference?  Is
there a way to rank the digital so high that analog is only used if there is
no alternative.

Any advice?