[mythtv-users] No Display

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 07:39:44 UTC 2011

Sorry I've come to this a bit late so if this has been covered please excuse me.

Do you have another machine (GOODPC) which you can logon to the
machine with the problem (BADPC)?

If you do I suggest the following.....

Install x11vnc onto BADPC.

ensure you open port 5900 on your firewal on BADPCl

copy the script I've sent to you offlist onto BADPC, this script is
for a Fedora box so you may need to modify if subject to your distro.

from GOODPC logon to BADPC via ssh using the root account, i.e. ssh
root at BADPCipaddress

when logged on to BADPC run the script i've sent you, you should see
assorted comments
go through ending in "....x11vnc waiting on port 5900...."

on GOODPC run the vnc client (for Fedora it's tigervnc) thus tigervnc
BADPCipaddress

You should now be logged onto your live desktop on BADPC

open a terminal session on the BADPC desktop

using xrandr find out what modes are supported and what mode it's
running in, read the xrandr manual to see what you are allowed to
modify.

hopefully you should be able to play with xrandr to get a mode that
outputs to your screen correctly.

Regards