[mythtv-users] User permissions

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Feb 5 16:26:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 09:29:24AM -0600, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> I've been fighting with this issue for a while and I'm finally asking
> for help. Despite having run linux for the past 13 years, I still
> don't really understand permissions. My specific problem is that I
> have a directory (/mnt/media) which has subdirectories (Movies, TV,
> Trailers, etc.). I put things in those directories from a variety of
> sources, MythTV being one of them. I want the mythtv user to have the
> same permissions as my regular user to read, write, create
> directories, etc. Currently, if I want my mythtv user jobs to be able

    MythTV needs to own it's own stuff. This is pretty standard operating
procedure. You can give wide read permissions to others, but it should be
owned by mytthv.

[deletia]

    MythTV needs to be able to create files, alter files, delete files and
otherwise treat certain directories as it's own.

    Grant loose read priveledges (like chomd 644) if you want, but mythtv
should definitely own stuff. The only exception would be for stuff that it
never writes to like media files used by the various plugins.

    You can also make a directory world writable so that any user can put
stuff into it (like /tmp). Just make sure to set sticky bit (chmod +t).