[mythtv-users] User permissions

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 15:29:24 UTC 2011

I've been fighting with this issue for a while and I'm finally asking
for help. Despite having run linux for the past 13 years, I still
don't really understand permissions. My specific problem is that I
have a directory (/mnt/media) which has subdirectories (Movies, TV,
Trailers, etc.). I put things in those directories from a variety of
sources, MythTV being one of them. I want the mythtv user to have the
same permissions as my regular user to read, write, create
directories, etc. Currently, if I want my mythtv user jobs to be able
to write a file in that directory, I have to change the ownership to
mythtv:mythtv. I don't know what else to do.

I'm sorry if this comes off as seriously noobish. I can't help it.