[mythtv-users] Suddenly flaky firewire

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Fri Feb 4 21:03:50 UTC 2011

> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:54:38 -0600
> From: Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Suddenly flaky firewire
> Thanks for the reply. The upgrade was actually a jump from Mythbuntu
> 9.10 to Ubuntu 10.10 via the distribution upgrade tool. According to
> uname, my current kernel is:
>
> I can confirm that I am using the new juju firewire stack. Maybe the
> best option for me at this point is to try switching back to the old
> one. Any other thoughts?

You have a case of bad ju-ju.

I ran into the same upgrading to 10.10.   I use firewire just for
channel-changing, but intermittently the firewire bus would just lock
up....  only pulling the cable and re-inserting it, or powering off and
on, would fix it.  (unloading/reloading the modules wouldn't clear it.)

You have a choice of blacklisting juju and going back to the old stack,
or changing your firewire card.

In my case, I was using a cheap PCI firewire card.  I upgraded my
motherboard, and have been using the firewire port on the motherboard
with no issues.