[mythtv-users] Suddenly flaky firewire

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:22:59 UTC 2011

I have been using firewire as an alternate tuner for clear QAM
stations accessible via my cablebox, and as a channel changer for the
same cable box and an HD-PVR. It worked fine until I updated Ubuntu to
Maverick (10.10). Now, the firewire system seems to be really
unstable. It keeps "collapsing" during recordings. When that happens,
I get the following in dmesg:

[280735.091273] firewire_ohci: failed to read phy reg

And after that plugreport shows this:

Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0000000000000000
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Node 1 GUID 0x0400000004000000
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

The only way I've been able to find to get it back is rebooting. This
is pretty frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to
address this?