[mythtv-users] Irrecord - lirc.conf - help needed

Tom Runner tomj.runner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 06:12:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:49 AM, Tom Runner wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Months I'm trying to setup my IR blaster. I finally purchased a commandIR
> one. Still I cannot manage to have the cablebox working.
> > Configuration:
> > - Ubuntu 10.10
> > - CommandIR III
> > - Lirc 0.8.7 pre3
> > - NowTV cable box in Hong Kong having a very tricky nasty remote
> >
> > There are 2 Nowtv broadband lircd.conf available on the lirc database.
> One is doing nothing, the second one is making the IR led on the cable box
> reacting, blinking, but no channel change (see below).
> > Si I decided to go for irrecord
> >
> > First attempt (see file generated below)
> > "sudo irrecord now -H commandir", but after the header detection (see
> below), each time I try to set a key it returns "something went wrong". So
> impossible to have the key codes.
> >
> > Second attempt (see file generated below)
> > irrecord in raw mode, which went well until the end and generate a
> complete file. But then the cable box does not react at all to the signal.
> > Raw code generated, checked with "cmd2", which gives almost the same
> code.
> > irrecord -a givers a failure for each code
>
> This *should* have worked, but its possible you need to add 'min_repeat x'
> to the config (w/x somewhere between 2 and 5 or thereabouts), so the
> transmitter sends the command a few times. A lot of STB actually expect to
> see the code retransmitted a few times before they'll actually act on it.
>
> Hi Jarod

Thank you very much, the "min_repeat" definitely helped with the raw data. I
for the first time succeeded to have one signal received and well
interpreted by the box.
Now it's still random and it seems the learning is not optimal. irw reacts,
but when using one key it may give several different results.

I will continue to fine tune all that.

One question though, is there a way to convert raw data into hex ones ? It
may help to compare with the data generated with XMP.