[mythtv-users] BR player as streamer for myth BE.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:29:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:24 AM, bhaskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
> I have a Asus box that connects to a print/file/server + myth BE.
> It sees the myth box as a UPnP server, kudos to the devs!!
> This works very well and I would like to extend this to another tv.
> In checking prices, it looks like a BluRay + Netflix box is close to
> the same price as a stand alone streamer.
> Both of these will be hard wired connections.
> I have blacklisted all Sony products ever since the rootkit deal but
> the Samsung player looks good.
> Are there any better choices?

Be aware that just because a player supprts DLNA or UPNP does not
guarantee that it will work with myth's upnp server or the files your
myth system records, let alone the huge variants of codec and
container you might have in your mythvideo collection!

Often there are slight variations in the implementation of upnp/dlna
in the players sold in the market. also most of them will only play
with a limited set of codecs and containers.

Unfortunately that results in a bit of trial and error, which can be a
pain when you have to make a purchase decision.