[mythtv-users] Stuttering VDPAU playback of HD-PVR recordings (Solved?)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Feb 3 05:06:09 UTC 2011

Bob Sully wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have set up a new (second) backend/frontend and set it up in my condo up
> in the mountains (cloned my home BE/FE onto another machine, changed the
> hostname and IP without problems).
>
> BOTH machines are still giving me problems with VDPAU and HD-PVR (with
> HD-PVR recordings only).  Both have beefy enough CPUs and nVidia cards and
> plenty of RAM.  Both are running Ubuntu 10.04.1, 64-bit, with JYA's
> binaries.
>
> Main BE/FE:
> Intel Q6600 quad-core - 2.4GHz
> GT220 video card
>
> Second BE/FE:
> AMD Athlon II - dual-core, 3 GHz
> 8600GTS video card (was originally in the other machine above)
>

> On the main (original) BE/FE, this has only happened recently (with the
> past couple of updates to 0.24-fixes) - juddery video and audio, on HD-PVR
> 720p content in the Recordings directories *ONLY*. Other HD content (HD-HR
> recordings (720p and 1080i) and all "former" recordings (any source) which
> I've processed via ffmpeg and avidemux and now view via MythVideo - work
> fine).  Both machines have the same symptom.
>
> I usually run VDPAU High-Quality, but they do the same thing with VDPAU
> Normal.
>
> Someone else had commented on this same issue, and was told that he should
> re-install the video drivers. Well, I have installed the most recent
> stable nvidia binaries (256) - still no go (and it had worked fine
> previously with these same drivers). So it doesn't appear to be the
> video drivers.
>
> There are *NO* errors in he log, except this one:
>
> 2010-12-29 18:05:21.118 VDPAU: Created VDPAU render device 1280x720
> 2010-12-29 18:05:21.159 Player(0): Forcing decode extra audio option on
> (Video method requires it).
> 2010-12-29 18:05:21.159 FilterManager: Failed to load filter ' ', no such
> filter exists
> 2010-12-29 18:05:21.256 Player(0): Video sync method can't support double
> framerate (refresh rate too low for 2x deint)
>
> It shouldn't be deinterlacing anyway...file is 720p resolution (h264,
> HD-PVR recording).
>
> I can watch all of the recordings without any problems if I use the CPU++
> profile - but since it worked fine with VDPAU before, I'd like to get this
> fixed.
>
> So, for now, I can use CPU++ and things work - but 0.25 is dumping some of
> the older video libraries, so I will have an issue then...would like to
> figure out what's up.  Plus...jeez, I'm running decent nVidia cards - I
> want my VDPAU!  ;-)
>
> Anyone else seeing this issue?
>
> TIA -
> Bob

Replying to my own post:

After getting home from vacation, I updated my home BE/FE with JYA's
latest binaries.

This problem seems to have been resolved by whatever changes were made
since the previous revision.  I now have VDPAU high-quality working again.

I'm just curious as to what was changed in this latest revision that might
have fixed this issue....?

I won't have a chance to update the other machine for a few weeks.

Bob