[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 4 support in MythTV...

Tom Bongiorno tom at bongohut.com
Wed Feb 2 19:06:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Derek & Cindi Cass <
cass at casscoenterprises.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 22:25 -0800, Robert McNamara wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >         Perhaps Ceton really meant they were working on linux support?
> >

> > As I understand the device, it's actually a network device via PCIe,
> > so all control of the tuner, including scanning, recording, etc. is
> > done via uPnP calls.  There is little (if any) actual "driver" to
> > write for Linux.  Also, given the Myth dev in question has been
> > working on recorder support for quite a while, it's safe to say it
> > already works in Linux.
> >

> > Robert
>
> This is a CableCard device.  I assume "works in Linux" coupled with
> "same limitation as capturing over FireWire" is to say that this device
> will (does) work in Linux, but not in conjunction with a CableCard.  And
> probably not ever in conjunction with a CableCard.
>
> Derek

Capturing over FireWire does require a CableCard in most cases.  It is
inside the STB unless you have an older STB.  Almost all cable content is
encrypted, and the CableCard is required to decrypt the channels.  You can
capture some channels over FireWire because they are not copy protected
(copy-freely).  It is the copy protection, not encryption, that has kept
CableCard devices unavailable to Linux until the rule changes back in August
2010.

So yes, this will work in Linux and in conjunction with a CableCard both
technically and legally!