[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 HD in the UK

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Feb 2 13:00:24 UTC 2011

On 2 Feb 2011, at 11:49, Andrew Gee wrote:

> On 2 February 2011 10:18, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> Channel 4 announced today that they are coming to Freesat this april, _if_ they are taking a slot on the BBC transponder this _might_ signal a change to DVBS2.
>
> Would that mean people with Freesat boxes would need to go any buy a
> new one for S2? Or are most freesat set top boxes already S2?

All Freesat HD boxes are S2 capable, it's part of the spec. although there may be bugs... There were very few Freesat SD boxes and they wouldn't be able to decode or display the HD video anyway. These are the reason a transponder that has both SD and HD must use DVBS.

The most believable story I heard was related to Sky HD boxes and 8PSK, it's certainly odd that Sky use lower capacity QPSK on their DVBS2 transmissions and ITV HD did test with 8PSK before switching back to QPSK & DVBS.

All the Sky HD boxes have had major software updates completed just recently so maybe the problem is fixed?

>> Did you buy a tuner yet ;-)
>
> Luckily not! I was leaning towards an S2 tuner anyway though!
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I've narrowed my choice down to
> a TeVii S660 or a TBS Q-Box S2

All DVBS2 cards should support both QPSK & 8PSK but it's worth checking the spec sheets.

For myth with a usb tuner you want one that can deliver the full ts, usually anything that is high speed usb can do this but...

Andre