[mythtv-users] Sound not working properly in MythTV 0.24

Griz Box grizbox at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:10:48 UTC 2011

Hi Jean-Yves, see below ;)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> That's top posting and this is not good
> Google is your friend
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting
>
> Thanks for the info.

> On 2 February 2011 09:51, Griz Box <grizbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jean-Yves,  You're welcome about not top-posting but I don't know what
> > that means.  I have tried your test file and I get no sound.  I also
> tried
> > the other suggestions you sent me and I still get choppy sound on the 2
> > channel files with anything but 48 khz sample rate and no sound on mono
> (1
> > channel) files.
>
> this is not top posting, and is what is required to use on this mailing
> list.
>
> > I have included two new output logs, one for mono sound test with 44.1
> khz
> > and one for 2 channel sound with 22.05 khz.  In the 2 channel file you
> can
> > also see where I went into the audio settings page a configured the
> settings
> > as you suggested.
> >

> There are no error in the log ; it does everything it's supposed to do.
>
> when playing your 22kHz sample, it resample it to 44.1kHz first
> (44.1kHz rate is preferred as it's exactly 2x 22.05kHz).
>
> When playing your mono file; it does also what it's supposed to do.
>
> I can only assume that you have either a crap audio card ; or buggy
> alsa drivers. Your card reports supporting various sampling rate when
> it fact it doesn't.
>
> If when 48k force resampling it does work, this only confirm my
> suspicion about your audio card/drive being crap.
>
> I can not explain why mono wouldn't work for you ; when stereo works;
> provided mono is played just like a stereo file

My sound card is just fine and has worked great since Mythtv 0.20.  All
these files played fine until I upgraded to Mythtv 0.24.

To answer your other question: I get my source from atrpms repo.  I run
Fedora 12 at the moment but am thinking of upgrading to Fedora 14.  Atrpms
is one of the big and better repos for the RedHat/Fedora/Centos flavors of
linux.