[mythtv-users] PVR-350 channel scan finds 0 channels

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Feb 1 20:18:59 UTC 2011

On 2/1/2011 15:01, Larry wrote:
> Just got Myth installed and working with HDHomeRun on another box for two family members.
> They have a VCR, yes a VCR with lots of old movies and home movies.
> Plus, an old Hauppauge PVR-350 tuner card lying around.
>
> We just need the Hauppauge 350 tuner card to pick up channel 4.
> How would you do that?

You don't.

Plug the VCR into the s-video and RCA audio ports on the PVR-350.
Use 'v4l2-ctl --list-inputs' to find the s-video input, and then
'v4l2-ctl --set-input=<n>' to set it.
Hit play on the VCR, and run 'cat /dev/video0 > some_output_file.mpg' on
the computer.
Hit Ctrl-C on the computer when the movie ends to terminate the recording.

You'll end up with a nice MPEG recording, with far less work than you
would have trying to fiddle around with manual recordings in MythTV.  I
would only bother doing this with home recordings, anything commercial
just repurchase on DVD.