[mythtv-users] OT: Sky UK (Was: DVB-S2 HD in the UK)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 16:47:40 UTC 2011

Andre wrote:

>There has also been very recent legislation in the UK to ensure that
>Sky Sports channels broadcast on terrestrial can be watched with a
>standard receiver and cam. I have great hopes that this opening up
>of competition will be extended into the satellite services.

Sky lost in court recently over this, but they still won't be
producing a CAM that is compatible with (AIUI) pretty much anything
currently on the market. The problem is that a CI CAM effectively
gives a clear signal, and that's something they just aren't prepared
to do for obvious reasons.

What they have been forced to accept though is to allow use of a CI+
CAM - which still maintains protection (and so isn't any use to us
Myth users).

http://gonedigital.net/2010/12/15/ofcom-rules-against-sky-on-cams-for-topuptv/

>The reason I suggest to moan to Sky is exactly for your reasoning,
>tell them I am a potential customer but don't want your Sky box,
>sell me a cam and I'll buy your product.
>I have a Sky+HD box and it's awful, regardless of pvr functionality,
>it's unable to render either a HD or SD picture with the correct
>video levels, colorimetry and for 4:3, aspect ratio. I'm told the
>one I have is supposed to be the best (Pace) If so I'd hate to see
>the rest. When I cancel I will ensure they know that their box is
>the reason for it.

And do you think they'll care ? The mass of sheeple happy to pay them
silly amounts of money month after month for their locked down
service prove that they can get away with it. We, the enlightened
ones, are but an insignificant group that wouldn't even show out from
behind the fuzzy bit at the side of the line on the subscriber graph.

On the other hand, Freesat I think has them worried. You only have to
look at the way they've dropped some of their charges since Freesat
came out to see that.

--
Simon Hobson