[mythtv-users] FW: Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 1 13:15:41 UTC 2011

Hi Nick

I am very surprised to hear that checking a location entered as a directory
path string could not be compared to a file system namespace that could also
be represented as a test string or x500 tree structure.  I have always
assumed that checking for a valid folder was a simple task and quite
different from testing whether access can be achieved once that folder is
found to exist.  I assume the pseudo logic to be: - 1st check whether the
path entered exists within the name space and if so can it be accessed by
the account used by MythTv.  They are 2 separate operations.

I take it on face value that this is more problematic in Linux than any
environment I have work in before and I am pleased that there is a
possibility that the error message can be altered to point others
encountering the same issue to look at permissions as a possible solution.

Please also note that there is a difference in a comment complaining about a
common function as simple as pointing to another valid directory location
causing considerable troubleshooting effort and a subsequent post to a
support forum and a personal complaint about the effort of those who
voluntarily contribute to helping other with support problems.  The effort
of those helping to provide solutions is most appreciated and has never been
questioned so it is unfair for anyone to misrepresent frustration with
software to a personal attack on anyone associated with the project.
Having worked in software support for more than 9 years and 3 of them in a
most uncompromising Call Centre environment, we expected frustration from
end users experiencing problems with software and most of the issues arose
from poor design and inaccurate documentation.  We never took such feedback
personally as it could always be captured and feedback to improving the next
version and was perfectly understandable.

I have seen many people set upon on this list for expressing very valid
complaint and just because MythTv is free in monetary terms (not time) is no
excuse for such sensitivity.

You might not like this feedback but it is given in good faith from someone
who has been on the front line in telephone support with most demanding and
uncompromising end users.

Kind Regards

Anthony