[mythtv-users] Why does my mythbrowser crash?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 1 03:42:28 UTC 2011

  On 01/31/2011 09:06 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 12:02, Rick wrote:
>> I compile myth myself on a Mandriva 2010.1 distro.   Whenever I launch
>> mythbrowser to go to Youtube or Cnn, etc... it crashes with the errors
>> below.  Any suggestions
> most likely Due to Flash, there are plenty of reports of this happening on
> the lists

Yep, you need to use Flash 10.0 or below*** or if you use 10.1+, you
have to use Qt-Webkit 2.0, which has a workaround for the bug in Flash.
Qt 4.7+ ships Qt-Webkit 2.0.

Note, also, that fixing Flash would take all of 1 line of code
(literally)--but since it's proprietary, that's not an option, so we
have to include a workaround in the open-source browser, which requires
you to update a low-level framework on your system, which likely
requires you to update a huge number of applications.  (Or, you /could/
manually backport the workaround to an earlier version of Qt and compile
it with the patch, but that's also a less-than-desirable approach.)

Sorry, you may have noticed my disdain for Flash.

Mike

*** Note, also, that many sites (including Hulu) have Flash version
checks that may prevent your using older versions of Flash.