[mythtv-users] Simple HTPC setup recommendations

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 02:00:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Aaron Rich <aaron.rich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use the onboard 2000 on my i5-2500Kwith on an issue with a ceton
> card for HD if that helps you decide.
>
> -Aaron
>
> I tried the on board with my i3 and a gigabyte card with hdmi output, but
I just couldn't get HD to do right.  (actually I think 720p was fine, but
1080i gave me fits). I tried many tweaks and different deinterlacing
settings, but there was unacceptable tearing or some other problem with
every attempt.  I eventually bought a PCIe graphics card.  Works fine now.
I don't know if it is just me, or if the extra power of Aaron's i5 made the
difference, but I found it much easier to just buy the card.

I am currently looking at building a second frontend and was considering
buying a used MOBO (pentium-d or core 2 duo).  I've been looking for one
with onboard nvidia, and intend to give that a try.  A word of warning if
you go this route.  Not all nVidia chips will use vdpau.  I found this on
the wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
Definitely worth the read before you buy graphics card / MOBO.

Jeremy

Jeremy