[mythtv-users] Recording Storage Limit

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 30 20:00:22 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 02:06 PM, Adam Windisch wrote:
> I have a Myth system that has been running fine for a while.  I upgraded
>   the storage from 1.5TB to 6TB recently.  For some reason Myth is not
> using the extra storage, it's auto-expiring at the 1.5TB mark.  Is there
>   a setting I am missing that is preventing the storage from increasing
> past that point?
>
> Total Disk Space:
>            Total Space: 5,633,332 MB
>            Space Used: 1,435,975 MB
>            Space Free: 4,197,357 MB
>            Space Available After Auto-expire: 4,322,927 MB

Assuming all the directories you've specified are in the Default Storage
Group and you're telling your recording rules to record to the Default
Storage Group, you almost definitely have the wrong Storage Group Disk
Scheduler selected.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler

My guess is that MythTV is recording some shows to the new file systems,
but is also recording to the old/full file systems.  MythTV expires
recordings on a per-file-system basis when that file system is in use.
So, if you don't want it to record to the full file systems, you'll
either need to choose Balance Free Space (or, if you're running
unstable/development, Percent Free Space) or move recordings from the
full file system(s) to the empty file system(s).  Even if you change the
SG Disk Scheduler, it doesn't hurt to move recordings to "balance out"
the file systems.

To move a recording, simply move it to any other directory in any other
Storage Group on the same host.  There are no database updates required
(but you must keep the recording on a file system that's accessible from
the recording host).

Mike