[mythtv-users] Is it possible run myth frontend in a window?

lothar.subscribe at comcast.net lothar.subscribe at comcast.net
Thu Dec 29 19:49:37 UTC 2011

> Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 08:55:29 -0700
> From: Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Is it possible run myth frontend in a
> window?
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes it is. ?Go into Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance ?Set the Gui
> >> width and height to the window size you want. ?Tick 'Use window border',
> >> and probably 'Use GUI size for TV playback'. ?I've always used the fixed
> >> window size option. ?One other thing to note, the Monitor aspect ratio
> >> option still refers to the whole monitor, and not to the aspect ratio of
> >> your window (took me a while to track that one down).
> >>
> >> As for keeping it on top, that's something that I think would have to be
> >> handled by your window manager. (in XFCE, you can right-click on the
> >> title bar, and select 'Always on Top')
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Alex
> >

> > If you launch mythfrontend from a terminal you can use the -w option to open
> > it in a resizeable window, or specify the fixed resolution with the
> > -geometry option. I have a batch file in Windows (sorry!) that has the line
> > mythfrontend.exe" -geometry 1280x1024 and when it launches I use
> > Windows-shift-Left arrow to banish it to my second monitor.
>
> Thank you, Matt. the "-w -geometry 320x240" worked good for me.
> I'm running the frontend on a windows machine(vista 64) for now,
> because the TV I had hooked to my linux server was broken during a
> break-in and my linuxmint eeepc was stolen (I'm not sure an eee would
> have even been powerful enough anyways.) I also had to find a way to
> make it "always on top". Luckily they found my gaming machine too big
> and heavy to take and they left my 20" monitor. So while I wait for my
> insurance to replace my stuff I'll watch tv on my windows game
> machine. I created 2 shortcuts. One that starts in full screen and
> another that starts it windowed.
>
> The pre compiled 64bit windows version did not have the options Alex
> was talking about. Also the pre compiled 64bit windows version when
> windowed does not allow a resize and does not have an always on top
> option (luckily there are programs for making other programs always
> ontop).
>
> Mythtv works great as a dvr but its front end needs a little work for
> a desktop user. (I know its not designed for a desktop user is there
> another mythtv frontend for desktop users that I should be using
> instead?)
> Don't get me wrong. I love it!!!! Who ever compiled the 64 bit version
> for windows is my hero. Only issue was I had to install libs and
> compile a recent version for my linux server as the linuxmint10
> version was way outdated. Now I have a new version of the backend on
> my linux server to use with a pre compiled frontend on vista 64.

> [...]

I have a windows laptop with the MythTV frontend. I've also found that it isn't really meant for desktop usage. To that end, I've been using MythTv Player ( http://sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/ ) to get my MythTV stuff. It's fairly basic in functionality but you can playback recordings and watch live tv*. It is also very easy to switch between windowed mode and full screen ('f').

*I have not tested LiveTV but it's supposed to work.

Enjoy.

Tim